As I mentioned in the intro blog, I'm a teacher. Been doin' it for 18 yrs. now and have always enjoyed it. I mostly do it because I believe I was called to it, I love working with kids, especially middle schoolers that don't know whether they're kids or mini-adults yet. That being said, the holidays & summers have been awful nice. They don't quite make up for the pauper's salary but they make it bearable. That was until 3 yrs. ago....
That was the first year that I became a stay at home dad to my twin daughters. Ya see, my wife is a principal and she's busy all summer doing important principal things, like picking a theme for the new school year and decorating the lounge. But I jest, the couch isn't that comfortable. So anyhoo, the first few years went pretty well. When they were itty bitty babies most of the day was taken up changing diapers, spoon feeding every 15 minutes it seemed, general baby play on the floor, and naps. Oh the naps, naps all around, naps for daddy too. Luv me some naps. Those naps continued through years 2 and 3 and even got better. Last year, they would take a loooong nap in the afternoon. Heck, I could pay bills, clean the kitchen, watch a few shows, & change my oil during one of those naps. It got to the point where I was writing arias just because I had so much me time during those naps.
Then came this year. They're 3 1/2 yrs. old and apparently have decided that they no longer need sleep. They refuse to nap. I've tried to "put them down" (I always thought that sounded like people were euthanising horses instead of tucking their kids to sleep) but nothing's worked. I've tried to be nice, be mean, bribe, beg, cajole, threaten, go all Super Nanny on them to no avail. They pretty much just laugh at me under their breath & as soon as I walk down the hall they start some little twin version of a sorority girl sleepover. I hear the pitter patter of tiny feet, crossing back & forth between their rooms & squeaky little voices making up their own little make believe scenarios to live out.
In addition to the anti-nap campaign, they've decided that they don't need sleep at any time. They're 7:30 bedtime has crept later & later each week of the summer. The other night I was drooling into my pillow at 11 pm & I heard the tell tale sound of a kitty cat that sounded suspiciously like a 3 yr old still very much awake. One night after the Sun had been down for hours, they paraded through the den proclaiming, "Hoot, hoot". When questioned, the little twin informed us, "We're owls. We're nocturnal." I guess that's what I get for trying to turn them into toddler scientists.
So this is my summer now - at least they sleep late. I know that what I need to do is bite the bullet & just wake up their little tushies real early a few days in a row & that will break the cycle but man, it's awful nice to have a few minutes to watch at least one show that doesn't have a talking animal in it. I know that as soon as they're up it's time for Barbies, books, & making bead necklaces & I love every minute of it. More on that next time.
Please make me a friendship bracelet during the next arts-n-crafts time. Oh, we are in Cabo and Jay will be fishing for another marlin. I am sure he would want your company on the boat. You two could quiz each other on random stuff that no one else cares about. Ha
ReplyDelete